Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Idiot Customer Service I

So I just had to call FairPoint Communications to report a problem with our phone line.  We can dial out, but incoming calls are not getting through.

So I look up the Fairpoint number online and it is a 1-800 number leading into an automated system.  Of course.  Press 1 if you are calling about... (and then it reads off my phone number).  Done.  Press 1 if you have a residential phone and want to change service, check your bill, or other service.  Done.   BUZZZZZZZZZ - WRONG!  I had listened long enough to find out that 2 was for commercial service... but I didn't listen long enough to find out that 4 was actually for repair, (after 3 for internet service questions).  Really 4?!  Would reporting an outage be 1?!  And to make matters worse, after I had pressed 1, the voice told me in a condescending tone what the business hours were and I was outside of them... right before it hung up on me.  Didn't even give me chance to try a different number!

So I called back, figured out to press 4 and did so.  The automated voice asked me if I was calling about my phone number and then read it off to me.  She knows who I am!

But then the actual person comes on and asks why I called.  "Phone line problem."  (I'm curt since I'm annoyed.)  Then she asks what my phone number is.  "Are you serious?  You don't have my number?"  She says no.  How can that be since your automated system just read it off to me?"  Silence.  "Hello?"  She says just a minute... and then reads my number off to me.  Imagine that!

Now, will they fix the line?  Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment