Sunday, October 30, 2011

Clueless Drivers II

My wife will tell you I'm not the best when it comes to turn signal use.  I used to be, but that was before spending a year in Korea and then eight years living in the Boston area.  Those two places taught me that using turn signals will just give others warning so they can prevent you from doing what you are trying to do.  (I'll digress for a second here:  A tip for driving in the Boston area is to never make eye contact, and just start merging or turning if traffic is too heavy to do it politely.  Be aware of your surroundings and the vehicle you are inconveniencing, but don't give unless they are stronger willed than you!)

Anyway, my point about turn signals is, if you are going to use them, USE THEM RIGHT!

It's amazing that many people who use turn signals think they are doing a good job, but are instead a real hazard out on the road.

If your brake lights come on before your clicker... FAIL!  The whole idea of turn signals is to announce your intentions.  If you are already slowing, or worse, turning, then what's the point?  You didn't tell me anything and I can figure it out when you are slowing or already starting to turn.  Put that turn signal on in advance of the turn, before you hit the brakes.

Of course it isn't always that simple.  You don't want to turn the signal on two blocks before the turn.  Not only is that not helping me behind you, but may cause people to pull out in front of you if they think you are turning before you reach them.  It can be tricky at times, but overall this isn't that hard.

And who am I to comment given my admission I don't always signal?  Well, maybe I shouldn't, but I have my own system that I base on my belief of common sense.  If you are far enough ahead or behind me, and my actions aren't going to affect you in the least, I probably won't signal.  (This is more for changing lanes left/right than actually turning.)  If I'm the only one on the road, I promise you I won't signal.  I use turn signals for what they are for:  to signal drivers around me who need to know my impending actions.

And consider too, sometimes actions are obvious just by where you position your vehicle.  If you are in a left/right turn only lane, it's safe to assume where you are going.  (Please signal if you want to do something different!)

So much of driving comes down to having a little common sense... sadly that is lacking in so many drivers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment